Thursday, October 23, 2014

Digital Photo frame from my old laptop.

Last year I had a blog post to convert track pad to external mouse. link

The same HP pavilion dv2000.
After converting the Hard disk to external, DVD drive to external one and track pad to external mouse, I wanted to reuse the rest of the component left out with the laptop. So I decided to create one Smart Digital Photo frame.
My Goal was to create a wall mount or standing Digital photo frame that when started open a full slide show.
Features:
Operate it with a remote control.
Slide show that show shall have video and image.
The content of the photo shall be updated from out side (Dropbox).
Possibility of online video chat.
Play video.
Use as Internet browser
Use it as a computer for advanced users.

The Making




Hardware

Disassembled all the parts of laptop and took. motherboard, display, display driver,RAM, wireless adapter, micro phone, speaker, IR receiver and video out 3.5 mm jack out and web cam.

Created a wooden box that fits this in and able to easily replaceable/serviceable design. Big thanks to Binil NR (my cousin for helping me in design) wooden box was created by his friend and paining for the box was done by another friend.

The power button was replaced by push switch that was kept outside the box. Sreerag helped me in doing so.











Software
I have used lubuntu 14.04 live USB as OS and since there was no hard disk.
Tweaked lubuntu sysconfig to remove menu prompt and direct entry to live disk.
I will post all the tweaks done to the OS in the git repository here
The first task was to make the IR remote work.
HP Pavilion has inbuilt IR remote and lubuntu was able to recognize most of the buttons.
Except 2 buttons I could make all the other buttons work.
For that I had to edit lubuntu-rc.xml file and final edited file is available here
and some key to register at start up. so created this config file in /etc/init here

Then for slider

Slideshow that has both video and Image and mostly from command line, also video will be shown as image with play button an user can click play to play movie.

Feh is the tool.

And for Video alone I used VLC.

Taken snapshot of the movie using VLC and had naming convention to Identify that this is a movie and file name of original movie

Used image Magic to compose Play button to image

Feh Configured Action button 0 ([Return Key]) to execute a shell program which is playing in VLC full screen and stop after playing.

The autostart .desktop file created for autostart digital full screen slideshow is given here

The supporting script file is given here

and for playing the media file using vlc this script was used here. This will check if there is a curresponding video file to the image. If yes then start playing VLC in full screen and then close VLC.

The media content was from a drop box folder. I could not insall drop box application as such because every time user restart Digital photo frame it askes for user name and password. I have used Dropbox API from shell script and it is run as a crone job every day at 8:00 PM.

The shell script for dropbox sync I have used from https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader

I have modified it to call one shell script after the time of downloading and saving a file.

The script checks if the file is video and if it is video then get a middle scene from the video and add play inage embeds to the scene received and and title to the image and name the image to be identified by the pay script.

and script to do this image embedding is here

the crone job script run every day is here full path is needed because of some issue in the dropbox uploader modified uploader is given here

Other stuff

Some Keys are configured as hot keys to Open gmail for chatting and browsing and toggle switching full screen here

for Feh to configure remote enter key as play button for video i.e action 0 key I used this configuration here

Web chat is available using gmail. Since facebook did not support I could not get this done for linux.

If empathy support video chat then I will change this to open empathy directly and some default person in specific.
Suggest me some ideas here for chat.

I have attached a wireless keyboard and mouse too for advanced usage.
Since my speaker wasn't working I had to attach a portable speaker. 
Side note: While I was working on this the original LCD was broken and had to purchase and integrate new one :-(

But final output What I have I am 100% satisfied. It was a long pending DIY project I had in my mind. So this I can now strick out from the list :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors